NOTE: The guidelines for submitting your manuscript via Submittable (electronically) are DIFFERENT from the guidelines for submitting your printed manuscript via postal service. Please make sure you read the guidelines that apply to your mode of delivery for your submission.
Submission guidelines for printed submissions sent through the mail:
1. TWO TITLE PAGES.
2. TITLE PAGE #1: TITLE ONLY! (This will go with your manuscript to the judge.)
3. TITLE PAGE #2: TITLE, Name, Address, Email address, Phone number. (This will stay with our staff.)
4. Please, no acknowledgments, biographical material, or dedication pages at this stage. A cover letter is not necessary.
5. Manuscripts must be typed and paginated, 120-160 pages in length or 50,000-60,000 words. Single or double-sided manuscripts are acceptable.
6. Translations and self-published books are not eligible. The manuscript must be the product of only one author.
7. Any person who has studied in a formal program with this year’s judge, Alice B. Fogel, through a college, university, community program, residency, or private tutorial—within the last two years is not eligible to submit a manuscript to this contest.
8. No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
9. The actual manuscript should include ONLY the following: TITLE PAGE #1, TABLE OF CONTENTS, ESSAYS.
10. Send only one copy of your manuscript submission. Use only binder clips or rubber bands. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies. Manuscripts cannot be returned. Please do not send your only copy.
11. Please clip your entry fee of $30.00 to TITLE PAGE #2. Enclose a check or money order payable to Bauhan Publishing.
12. For notification of winners, include a business-sized SASE. For acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, include a stamped addressed postcard. Winners will be announced in March 2016.
13. Manuscripts must be postmarked on or before January 15, 2016. Please send as “Media Mail” and save yourself some money—manuscripts are included in the Media Mail postal regulations.
Bauhan Publishing reserves the right to cancel the contest for any reason. In that unlikely event, all entry fees will be returned to contestants.
Send manuscripts to:
The Monadnock Essay Collection Prize
P.O. Box 117
Peterborough, NH 03458